Bananas fosters egg rolls are a happy marriage of all the best elements of dessert - crispy, soft, salty and sweet. The warm caramelized banana filled egg roll pairs perfectly with creamy coconut ice cream and sweet rum sauce.
After ordering this every time I went to P.F Chang's I decided to make my own version. It's similar to turon, the traditional Filipino banana lumpia dessert that P.F Chang's most likely used as inspiration for their dessert. Like the restaurant chain, I present mine with coconut ice cream. I also add a delicious rum caramel sauce drizzled and served alongside for dipping.
The perfect end for dinner parties, I've made banana egg rolls so many times for many people over the last 10 years. I love that they can be made ahead of time and quickly fried up while the caramel sauce is warming. An impressive 5 minute dessert that will have your guests in awe of how quickly it came together and how freaking addictingly tasty it is.
Gather your ingredients
6 egg roll wrappers (found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store), 3 bananas (slightly ripe but still a little green are ideal), 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup dark rum, pinch of salt, frying oil.
In a large skillet heat butter, salt and brown sugar over medium heat. Add rum and stir until smooth.
Cut bananas in half and place in caramel sauce.
Cook, swirly slightly and spooning sauce over bananas until just warmed through, 1 - 2 minutes.
Remove bananas from pan and reduce heat to low to keep sauce warm.
Set bananas aside to cool. Meanwhile, add about 1 1/2" of frying oil to a pan (enough to cover egg rolls halfway) and heat over medium high.
Once cool, wrap each banana piece in an egg roll wrapper. Position wrapper with one corner facing you. Place banana in the middle and bring up bottom corner to cover the banana. Fold in the sides, wet top edge with water and roll tightly from the bottom up.
Test the oil by placing one banana egg roll in pan. Oil is ready if it immediately bubbles.
Place rolls seal side down and fry until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
Remove to cooling rack or paper towel lined plate to drain.
Serve warm with a scoop of coconut ice cream and drizzled with banana-rum caramel sauce.
These are also delicious served with vanilla or coffee ice cream or mango sorbet.
Make sure give your guests a bowl of the tasty sauce for dipping.
Egg rolls can be prepared up until the frying stage and the caramel sauce can be made ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Simply reheat sauce and fry egg rolls before serving.
On the off chance that you have leftovers, I don't recommend devouring straight from the fridge. Take my word for it, no matter how much they are calling to you it's best to to reheat them in the oven. So much better reheated and crispy rather than cold or microwaved.
If you make these or any of my dishes, I'd love to know! Please share a picture and tag me on facebook or instagram so I can see your creation. I can't wait to see what you think and how you make it your own. Enjoy!
Bananas Foster Egg Rolls
recipe by Tristin Rieken of ONEarmedMAMA.com
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- 3 ripe but firm bananas, cut in half to make 6 pieces
- 2 tablepoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- pinch of salt
- In a large skillet heat butter, brown sugar and salt until melted. Add rum and stir until smooth.
- Place bananas in caramel sauce.
- Cook, swirly slightly and spooning sauce over bananas until warmed through, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove bananas and reduce heat to low to keep sauce warm.
- Set bananas aside to cool.
- Add about 1/2" of oil to a large frying pan and heat over medium high.
- Once cool, wrap each banana piece in one egg roll wrapper. Position wrapper with corner facing you, place banana in the middle and bring up bottom corner to cover. Fold in the sides, wet top edge with water and wrap tightly from the bottom up.
- Place rolls seam side down in hot oil and fry until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side.
- Remove to cooling rack or paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve warm with a scoop of coconut ice cream and drizzled with rum caramel sauce.