Carrot cake is an Easter tradition for my family. My step mom, Cheryl, makes the most beautiful multi layered carrot cake coated with luscious cream cheese frosting and chopped walnuts. Years ago, she gave me the recipe and I have been making my version ever since.
Moist, full of spicy and sweet flavors this delicious carrot cake is the best I’ve ever had. I made it as cupcakes for my best friend’s wedding.. and always make a carrot cake for her birthday, but never on Easter. Because on Easter we eat the original.
- 9 medium carrots about 3 cups shredded
- 1 1/2 cups coconut oil melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- optional: 1/2 cup unsweetened flake coconut
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound confectioner's sugar about 3 1/4 cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt coconut oil either in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove or in a bowl in the microwave and cool.
- Grease a sheet pan (1/2 pan size) with a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl crack eggs and stir. Add sweetened coconut and shredded carrots. Mix to combine.
- In a large bowl combine cooled coconut oil with sugar and cinnamon. Stir.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to coconut oil mixture. Whisk slightly before stirring all together. Mixture will be very thick.
- Add egg/carrot mixture to the batter and mix well.
- Pour evenly into prepared sheet pan.
- Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While oven is still warm, place unsweetened coconut flakes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake 2-5 minutes, stirring once, until nicely toasted.
- Meanwhile, prepare cream cheese icing.
- When cake is completely cooled, plop all the frosting on the cake and spread evenly. Top with toasted coconut (optional)
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Does not need to be refrigerated if serving within 24 hours. Otherwise, store in fridge.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Prepare cream cheese icing by beating butter, cream cheese and vanilla until whipped and adding in the confectioner's sugar.