Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken in 5 minutes or pressure cook from frozen in only 15 minutes! Great for meal prep or as a quick, delicious, gluten-free weeknight meal.
Tender shredded chicken in a lightly sweet homemade teriyaki sauce with fresh garlic and ginger. This flavorful meal goes from fridge to table in minutes with an Instant Pot electronic pressure cooker and my (first ever!) recipe video shows you how.
My First Recipe Video
You guys, I finally shot my first video!!
I’ve been wanting to for a long time now but haven’t just dove in and done it. Until now. Scroll down to see my first attempt with this Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken recipe video and let me know what you think.
It’s a little rough but I’m learning and dreaming up so many more quick delicious meals to share. I’m thinking pressure cooker versions of my favorite meals like Chile Verde Pork and One Pot Braised Beef with Mushrooms
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
This Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken is my favorite! Perfect for those days when dinner time hits and there’s nothing ready to cook. Even frozen chicken gets soft, tender and easily shreddable after minutes on high pressure. While you shred the chicken the juices reduce to a lightly sweet teriyaki sauce with big garlic, ginger flavor.
Serve over rice with broccoli for a quick weeknight meal or meal prep teriyaki bowls, wraps, rolls or salads and have fresh affordable meals all week long.
Recipe makes enough for 6 meals when combined with rice and vegetables. To serve a larger or hungrier crowd double the recipe and make as instructed. When fuller Instant Pot may take longer to pressurize but will still be just as tender and delicious.
It’s so easy and takes only minutes to serve this delicious and nutritious meal. See for yourself!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs about 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce or gluten free tamari
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ¼ cup cool water
- 1 medium scallion / green onion sliced
- 1 pinch sesame seeds optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro choppped optional
- Place soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger and chicken in Instant Pot. Close and Seal Instant Pot and turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK on new models or MANUAL on older models and cook on high for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will takes a few minutes to come to pressure then begin counting time.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking the chicken and beeps, allow to naturally release pressure for at least 5 minutes. Flip seal to ‘release’ to ensure pressure has released then open and remove chicken to rest before shredding with forks.
- Meanwhile, press SAUTE on the Instant Pot and let the liquid reduce and the flavors concentrate. After liquid has reduced by 1/4, combine corn starch with water and stir in.
- Whisk frequently while boiling until thick enough to coat a spoon. Add shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot. Stir until coated with homemade teriyaki sauce and heated through.
- Serve with additional sauce, sliced scallions, sesame seeds, hot sauce and/or fresh cilantro.
Teriyaki Chicken Recipe Variations
If you’re like me and always forget to take something out for dinner, you can make this recipe with completely frozen chicken! The ability to cook meat from frozen to tender is probably why I love my Instant Pot so much. It’s pretty much a weeknight dinner lifesaver. But, if you don’t have an Instant Pot you can still make this easy Teriyaki Chicken without an electronic pressure cooker. Teriyaki Chicken is super adaptable!
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken from Frozen
If using frozen chicken, simply increase the cooking time from 5 to 15 minutes and let Instant Pot naturally release pressure for at least 15 minutes. Also, decrease soy sauce to 1/4 cup and water to 1 tablespoon.
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
To make Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken place all ingredients except cornstarch, water, green onions, sesame seeds and cilantro in pressure cooker and cook on low 3-4 hours or 2-3 on high. Stir in cornstarch/water mixture and let simmer for the last 45 minutes of cooking to thicken. Then garnish and serve.
Stovetop Teriyaki Chicken
To make Crispy Stovetop Teriyaki Chicken substitute skin-on chicken thighs and fry skin side down in a tablespoon of canola oil until crispy in a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Weigh down chicken with additional heavy pot to flatten and crisp the skin if needed. Remove chicken once cooked through and skin is crispy then remove to rest before slicing. Meanwhile, whisk remaining ingredients except sesame seeds, scallions and cilantro. Remove all except 1 tablespoon of chicken fat from the pan and return to medium heat. Pour in teriyaki sauce scrapping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Simmer until thick and add sliced chicken back to sauce to warm through before serving.
However you cook it, I hope you love this Teriyaki Chicken recipe as much as I do! If you do have an Instant Pot what are your go to Instant Pot meals? Leave a comment and let us know!